HVAC units can cause electrical fires in our homes

Did you know that it’s possible for an HVAC unit to cause a fire? I saw this in a news report, and I was shocked to discover this information.

Until that point, I wouldn’t have believed something like this was possible. Of course, I have heard of space heaters causing fires but not HVAC units. And what was more surprising is that HVAC fires are more common than I expected. In fact, based on a study that I found, there are close to 3,000 HVAC related fires each year. And some of these fires have led to tragedies as well as severe injuries. Hence the reason why it’s so important to get HVAC units serviced. While the HVAC technician can’t find every single issue, at least he/she can identify and fix problems before they become worse. During a service call, an HVAC technician can clean the wires as well as the electrical components inside the heating and cooling unit. Over time, these units can accumulate dust and the wiring can also get corroded. So, the more often you service the unit, the easier it would be for the tech to find and fix these pending issues. Aside from getting regular service, we can also do our part in making sure that our heating and cooling units don’t become a hazard. One of the most important things that we can do for our HVAC unit is to change the air filters regularly. The recommendation is to change the filter every 90 days, but pets or other factors can shorten that time. The HVAC unit is one of the most expensive equipment in our home and obviously it can be dangerous as well.

gas fireplace